This is one of those holidays we dread for our loving fur babies. Some pets are so traumatized by fireworks that they’ll panic and try to run to the nearest safe spot in the home or if outside, out on the street. Animal shelters report an increased number of lost animals during this holiday weekend. As always, safety is the golden rule. Keep your beloved companion indoors during the fireworks displays. Close windows and curtains; turn up the volume on your TV or radio. Some pets can become destructive when frightened, so be sure to remove any items that your pet could destroy or that would be harmful if chewed. Just a reminder:
Never take your pet(s) to a fireworks display. It’s usually hot, has large crowds and dogs usually don’t enjoy it. Our pets are sensitive to loud noises, flashing lights and strong smells. Be aware of your pet’s surroundings. There may be unattended food and alcohol, some toxic to our pets.
Never leave pets outside unattended, even in a fenced yard or on a tether. Pets who normally wouldn’t try to leave the yard may panic and try to escape. To avoid injuries, leave your pets inside your home.
If you know that your pet is seriously distressed by the sounds of fireworks, consult with your veterinarian. Your vet may recommend a fast-acting anti-anxiety medication. The key is to start the medication before the fireworks start!
Make sure your pet(s) have their collars on with their identification tags in place. If your pet becomes lost, contact your local animal control and surrounding shelters. If you find a lost pet, either take the pet to the address on its tag or bring the lost pet to the local animal shelter where the pet can be united with their family.
Protect your pet(s) from heat stroke during summer festivities. Parents forget when having their pets on a leash the asphalt is very hot and the summer heat will affect their pet. Keep an eye on your pets and others! Act immediately if you see any signs of heatstroke, pets that are limping or panting heavily.
Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets. Even unused fireworks can pose a danger.
Overall, keep your pets safe. If you see other pets in distress, please let the owners know. Loud, crowded fireworks displays are not fun for our animals. Please resist the urge to take them to any festivities. Keep your fur babies safe from the noise and heat. Keep them in a quiet, sheltered and escape proof area at home. From all of us at Pacific Veterinary Hospital, we wish you a very happy and safe Fourth of July together, pets and people!