The New Year is in motion and we can finally go back to our routines. It was great seeing family during the holidays and we all had our share of holiday food and entertainment. With the holidays came new additions to the family. Puppy, kitty, Buddy and Daisy are happy to be with their new family and now is the best time to start with their training. Yes – you can train Kitty too! Here are some reasons why we should train our pets:
1) Build a Positive Relationship: One of the best ways to build a healthier relationship with Buddy is to make it rewarding, successful and easy as possible for the both of you. Positive training, which rewards and motivates a pet for good behavior, allows you to develop a relationship with your pet based on mutual trust and respect, instead of fear and intimidation. Our faithful companions that are taught using positive reinforcement methods are more tolerant and self-controlled and behave much more predictably in different situations. When giving treats as a reward, some dogs are allergic to specific items, such as certain protein sources, gluten, or grains like wheat and corn, so they should only be given chew treats that are free of those allergy triggers. Read the ingredients list of any treats you give your four-legged friend to be sure that you are doing your best to help keep him both happy and healthy!
2) Basic Manners 101: Every pet needs to learn how to live successfully in a home environment. Teaching your pets basic manner skills and providing them with enough mental enrichment and physical exercise will prevent them from developing anxiety and other stress related behaviors such as destructive chewing, inappropriate barking and aggressive display.
3) Socialization: Social interaction will give your pet the confidence to deal with the pressures training your pet to have good manners and behave well in different situations requires effort, but consistent commitment ensures success. We have high expectations for our pets, encouraging them to be friendly with everyone they meet, even if they are uncomfortable in certain situations. It is vital to socialize Buddy by giving him good experiences in the presence of all kinds of people, animals and environments. As for Kitty, socializing with only his siblings is best.
4) Kitty Training 101: Cats are really smart and they can be trained. Start to train them while they are still kittens to like their carrier. This is most helpful as they grow and need to visit their vet. Make it a positive situation. Put Kitty in his carrier and carry him to a different area of the home. Open the carrier and praise, love and give him a treat! This way he won’t associate the carrier with vet time. There are other ways to train a feline and yes – there are even cat trainers!
4) Loyal and Companion: Pet parents who make time to teach their pets lead more fulfilling lives with their canine companions. A healthy balance of learning manners, encouraging sociability and providing your pet with the right kind of outlets will ensure them success. Having trained pets will make life so much easier for everyone and your pets will understand what is expected from them once trained. Both you and your pets will have an amazing bonding experience throughout the years!
Get involved in the training classes with your trainer and ask questions! Training your pet is an investment and like all pet parents, you want the best for your pets! If you’re not sure where to start, please call Pacific Animal Hospital and we’ll be happy to help you! We are open 7 days a week, Monday – Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm. Basic Manners 101 will be so rewarding for everyone!